Skocz do zawartości
cavarr

Ati Radeon HD4850/4870

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Gość Firekage

Najśmieszniejsze jest, że od początku mówimy o tym samym (polemizowaliśmy z OCM4n14k) tylko nie wiem jakim cudem ja sie niby znalazłem po drugiej stronie :D

Masz mniejszego skilla ;) :lol2:

4850 DDR5:

http://forum.pclab.pl/index.php?showtopic=475644&hl=

To jest interesujace :lol2:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42631/118/

AMD stifling competition? Did Palit screw AMD?

PDF Print E-mail

Business and Law

By Wolfgang Gruener

Thursday, May 28, 2009 13:29

vote

nowBuzz up!

Opinion – There is heated debate going on in the graphics industry discussing a rather unusual choice of add-in-board (AIB) maker Palit to modify an AMD reference design in an obvious move to cut costs. AMD wasn’t happy and halted chip shipments to Palit. Now Palit is upset. So, was the modification a smart decision by Palit to promote innovation or simply a cheap shot to get an unfair advantage over the competition and kill one of AMD’s SKUs?

Let’s be clear upfront. The margins in the graphics AIB industry are extremely low and manufacturers do depend on their engineering ideas and marketing to stay alive, much more so than other industries. And it seems that Palit had a seemingly ingenious idea to cut a bunch of dollars off their bill of materials (BOM) for a new graphics card. And the question is: How far should AIB manufacturers be allowed to go to change reference designs? Should they be limited simply to changing clock speeds or should they be able to switch hardware components?

You can read the entire background of the controversy over at geek.com, but it seems that Palit exchanged the GDDR3 memory in the Radeon 4850 card in favor of faster GDDR5 memory. The result is that this modified 4850 is, according to industry sources, virtually as fast as a more expensive 4870 card. In effect, Palit was about to offer a 4870 card, while paying AMD for a 4850 chip, which cut about $30 from their BOM, those sources told us. We are pretty sure that AMD can’t be happy about this and we surely know Palit rivals are angry. Why? Well, apparently AIBs are contractually prevented from substituting the GDDR3 with GDDR5 memory and Palit simply may have ignored that guideline.

From a consumer’s point of view there are two sides to this story. First, you could say that Palit was “innovating” by cutting a corner and looking for a way to offer a certain product for less money. On the other hand, we hear that GDDR5 memory technology is very different from GDDR3, requiring a different BIOS and a new qualification process, which simply do not exist for the Palit GDDR5 4850 card, at least not from AMD. Sources told us that memory suppliers are also concerned about their products being used and sold in a non-qualified product.

So, what is the problem? AMD could simply qualify Palit’s GDDR5 card, right? Well, no.

Aside the additional cost of the qualification, Palit’s idea virtually eliminates the business case for all other 4870 cards. There are different Radeon SKUs addressing different markets. It is rather obvious that AMD can’t be happy with an AIB that decides on its own that the 4870 is not needed anymore and violates a contractual obligation. AMD positions its products against Nvidia, there is a certain choice of products, and if consumers decide that the Radeon cards are too expensive, AMD will have to lower the prices of their GPUs. It is not up to Palit to make that choice.

From a consumer’s point of view, yes, Palit’s move makes sense. But the underlying business case makes it difficult for me to chastise AMD and accuse them of stifling innovation. They have different products to sell, they have to compete effectively with Nvidia, and AIBs need to stay within the contractual design guidelines. It is as simple as that.

Wolfgang Gruener is the founder of TG Daily. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/amd-acc...ation-20090527/

AMD accused of keeping GPU competition down, stifling innovation

May. 27, 2009 (11:55 am) By: Rick Hodgin

An article appears today on Bright Side of the News (BSN), which suggests AMD is guilty of the very things they accused Intel of — namely, of attempting to stifle competition and product development by exerting their influence onto various companies.

The author, Theo Valich, has been able to draw together several off-the-record sources who, under conditions of anonymity, paint a picture of AMD’s desire to only allow controlled competition for its GPU cards by OEMs.

Palit Group (Palit, Palit Multimedia, Gainward and Galaxy) is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of graphics cards. In the past, they desired to take AMD’s reference ATI Radeon HD cards (4850, 4870, 4770 and 4890) and enhance them with features not found on AMD’s reference board (the original product AMD creates for the GPU that they encourage OEMs to use in creating their own models).

Some examples of enhancements seen over reference board implementations by Gainward include Gainward’s Radeon 4850, which had GDDR5 memory installed (instead of the reference board’s GDDR3). While GDDR5 is more desirable for high-end graphics processors due to its much greater memory bandwidth and performance, and is actually the trend all high-end cards are moving towards, AMD allegedly punished Palit/Gainward after that card was produced. First, ATI asked Gainward to stop advertising and selling its 4850 GDDR5 card. Second, when Gainward refused to do so, AMD stopped shipping them 4850 GPU chips, which was a form of punishment — according to the article. In addition, Gainward was also not allocated any 4770 or 4890 GPU parts, AMD’s latest and most advanced ATI Radeon HD products.

As a result of these actions, Gainward is “extremely unsatisfied” and “unhappy” with the way AMD is (allegedly) treating them. According to the article, Gainward accuses AMD of “trying to keep its current partners happy and does not allow custom building boards”, at least if you “don’t belong to the select few” — which are AMD’s close partners only.

The BSN article goes into additional detail about the situation. However, make no mistake about it, the article is stating that what Gainward is accusing AMD of doing is simply another flavor of the exact corporate behavior AMD accused Intel of (and won in court three times to date, with a possible 4th U.S. ruling coming) — of stifling innovation by keeping down the competition.

Palit/Gainward is saying that AMD determines which OEMs will manufacture which products with their GPUs, and if AMD does not like what the companies are doing they stop shipping products and cancel future shipments. As a result, AMD is allegedly stalling innovation, performance, and harming customer choices by keeping companies like Palit/Gainward out of the running by being able to produce non-reference board designs which exhibit better performance than traditional reference boards.

As a result, Gainward’s plans to offer custom boards, water blocks, extremely high overclocked solutions, will not be given unto the market as Gainward is reportedly considering abandoning AMD/ATI as a supplier altogether, opting instead for an exclusive relationship with Nvidia, to which they are Nvidia’s largest customer to date.

See BSN.

Rick’s Opinion

If true, what an interesting turn of events. Consider what this would mean: Basically, it appears AMD does not want higher performing products coming out of their GPUs unless they, themselves directly authorize it. They don’t want some another company taking their GPUs and overclocking them to 1.5GHz using liquid cooling, providing such increaed performance relative to air-cooled solutions, because it may indicate exactly how much AMD is holding back on their ATI Radeon HD lines.

In addition, it is the very kind of corporate stifling of competition that is out there. It’s like AMD is trying to protect those companies it feels closest to, while leaving the new guy out-to-dry, something Intel did to AMD during the December 2002 through December 2005 period, according to the most recent EU ruling and fine against Intel for anti-competitive behaviors.

This does not seem to be something along the lines of AMD’s portrayed character. That fact in and of itself could bring the validity of this report into suspicion. However, if it is true, then doesn’t it speak doubly bad for AMD? First by the fact they’re doing such things, second by the fact that they’re publicly stating that such things are wrong (for Intel)?

Here’s hoping it’s all a misunderstanding, and that AMD wants their products to rocket to 80GHz if possible, no matter who does it. In my personal opinion, a great performing products sold by any OEM that tied back to AMD/ATI Radeon products reflects only positively on AMD as a manufacturer of the graphics components.

LOL , oskarzali o to Intela , wygrywano z nimi w sadzie :lol2:

Edytowane przez Firekage

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Wy walczcie 50 vs 70 a ja dalej nie wiem jak malowac tym olowkiem, a nub ze mnie i nie chce niczego ruszyc bo jeszcze tego nie robilem...

Ktos doswiadczony odpisze na moje pytania wyyyyyyzeejj?

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Masz mniejszego skilla ;) :lol2:

Raczej łagodniejszą nature :rolleyes:

Co do artykułu to wydaje mi sie że sa dwie strony medalu. Z jednej oczywiście lepiej dla nas gdyby producenci rasowali karty jak im sie podoba i przez to konkurowali między sobą wymuszając lepsze konstrukcje i dodatki do kart.

Z drugiej AMD/ATi jako producent po to tworzy serie kart i umiejscawia je na poszczególnych półkach żeby całośc sprzedażt była spójna i jasna i przynosiła oczekiwane dochody. I nie dziwie sie że tak na to patrzą.

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Gość Firekage

Rafa , ale poruszyles tylko jedna strone medalu o nazwie konkurencja , zostalo cos jeszcze ;) Tym czyms jest podnoszenie krzyku o hamowanie rozwoju , konkurencji jako takiej oraz podawanie Intela do sadu , a z tych linkow jasno widac , ze oni robia dokladnie to samo o co oskarzali Intela za lata bodajze 2002-2005 , a KE dowalila od siebie prezent Intelowi - powinni teraz zajac sie AMD. :lol2: To jest hipokryzja , przedstawiaja sie jako porzywdzonych w temacie procesorow , ludzie pisza jaki to Intel jest be , a ci robia to samo z grafami :lol2:

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

ja tam nie wiem o co to całe zamieszanie

wiekszosc kupiła karty dawno lub jakis czas temu i je kreci

ja np na swoich 2 mam 880 i 1140 nic nie malowałem bo mi sie nie chciało bawic poprostu pacnełem cyne zamiast malowac

co do chłodzenia to nie jest to spory wydatek ja mam jakies badziewne bloczki zalmana co pasiły do ati serii 3xxx taki bloczek mozna wyrwac za 50 zł nuwexa na alledrogo

reasumujac wisi mi czy teraz jest 4850 na ddr5 czy 7

fakt faktem ze pod koniec tamtych wakacji mało co było lepsze :|

a jeśli chodzi o OC czy ma to sens czy nie moim zdaniem najwazniejsza jest zabawa :)

( jak by ktoś potrzebował jakies organy do przeszczepu z 4850 to smiało walic)

ps. jako ze dawno cos pisałem to teraz napisałem wiecej

i nawet nie wiem czy na temat ogolnie chciałem zaznaczyc że jeszcze żyje i tu zaglądam :D

a teraz sobie bede grał bo całe szczescie jeszcze mi chodzi to co chce

Edytowane przez opo

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Obcięli sekcje zasilania przez co spadło troche zużycie prądu ale kosztem OC. A wogóle co to za firma? :)

@Firekage - jest to troche podobne zachowanie ale nie zupełnie. ATi nie płaci np Asusowi czy Gigabyte żeby nie wypuszczał kart nVidii tylko zarządza na własnym podwórku. Także nie przypisałbym tego zbrodni o tej samej wadze.

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Gość Firekage

@Firekage - jest to troche podobne zachowanie ale nie zupełnie. ATi nie płaci np Asusowi czy Gigabyte żeby nie wypuszczał kart nVidii tylko zarządza na własnym podwórku. Także nie przypisałbym tego zbrodni o tej samej wadze.

I tak , i nie. Odpowiedz mi na jedno pytanie. Kupuje sobie grafike , mam ochote ja rozwalic - moge? Palit kupuje czipsety - ma ochote dac im inne pamieci , inne pcb , inny kolor laminatu - nie moze? Bo inni nie robia tanszych graf i to psuloby im biznes? Sliska sprawa ;)

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

I tak , i nie. Odpowiedz mi na jedno pytanie. Kupuje sobie grafike , mam ochote ja rozwalic - moge? Palit kupuje czipsety - ma ochote dac im inne pamieci , inne pcb , inny kolor laminatu - nie moze? Bo inni nie robia tanszych graf i to psuloby im biznes? Sliska sprawa ;)

Ale to tak nie działa bo ty jesteś klientem końcowym i możesz robić co chcesz. A firmy robią coś na licencji (coś ala franczyza) i nie mogą robić co chcą. W McDonalds też nie mogą robić innych cheesburgerów, chcesz mieć salon BMW to musi on wyglądać jak wszystkie salony BMW itd

@keiename - to są cewki w takiej o ile sie nie myle ceramicznej obudowie

Edytowane przez rafa

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Czy to są jakieś jaja DDR5 wolniejsze od DDR3? Mam kartę z siga, nawet nie kręciłem jeszcze, nie miałem czasu, teraz remont w domu, komputer stacjonarny u kolegi do połowy lipca, czy warto sprzedać tego HD4850 od Asusa i wziąć Gainwarda na DDR5? Wydaje się łakomym kąskiem :). Edytowane przez Spylon

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

w 4850 ddr3 przepustowosc jest 62? jak juz cos kupowac to musi byc przepustowosc >120 -> dlatego ja wymieniłem grafe i pewnie jutro dojdzie kto wie... bo ten 4850 na ddr3 sux do gta4 ;-)

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

Właśnie złozyłem kompa z tą grafą !

Czym najlepiej ja podkręcic według Was ?

Zalezy od potencjału karty. Zacznij od CCC dopiero jak tam osiągniesz max spróbuj czegoś innego.

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi

witam

Jestem swiezym posiadaczem 4850GLH 512 dd5 pomoze mi ktos optymalnie ja ustawic jesli jest taka potrzeba?

Updatowac drivery do niej? aktualnie posiadam catalyst 8.12 (ati2mtag 6.14.10.6891)

czytane z gpu-z

z ciekawosci zapytam testowalem sobie sprzet na can you run it i w tych "lepszych" gierach pokazuja mi zalecany update sterow grafiki, a wiec?

thx.

Edytowane przez sonic

Udostępnij tę odpowiedź

Odnośnik do odpowiedzi